The decline in radio listening on national channels has stopped
Listening figures presented this week by the Norwegian Media Authority showed that the radio listening on national channels seems to have stabilized after a gradual decline last year. There is also a slight increase in listening time so far this year.
Daily radio listeners on national channels have increased from 56.9 per cent in January 2018 to 57.4 per cent in March. The total listening time has increased over the same period from 71 to 74 minutes.
– Radio listening has been expected to stabilize in 2018. The figures from March may indicate that the decrease in listening to national channels after the digital radio switchover is now coming to a hault. We can probably expect more stabilty in these numbers in the future, says Mari Velsand, Director General at the Norwegian Media Authority.
The proportion of daily listeners is stable
The relation between the main channels and niche channels of NRK, P4-group and Bauer Media is relatively stable when we compare figures from January with figures from March. The main channels had 43.6 per cent daily listening in January to 43.7 per cent in March. The niche channels have 30.1 per cent daily listening in January to 30.3 per cent in March.
The NRK channels have an increase in daily listeners from 38.9 per cent in January to 39.4 per cent in March, while there are marginal movements for the P4-group (20.6 per cent in January against 20.5 per cent in March) and Bauer Media (12.2 per cent in January vs 12.1 per cent in March).
Slight increase in listening time
The listening time for the main channels of the NRK, P4-group and Bauer Media has increased by one minute from January to March, from 47 to 48 listening minutes. The niche channels have increased by two minutes, from 24 to 26 listening minutes, over the same period.
Among the channel groups, NRK has the largest growth, from 49 listening minutes in January to 51 in March. The P4-group increases from 15 to 16 minutes in the same period while Bauer Media is stable at 8 minutes.
The listening figures presented by The Norwegian Media Authority this week are produced by Kantar Media. Quarterly listening figures for local radio were published by The Norwegian Media Authority in January.
Main findings in the PPM Survey for March 2018 (pp. = percentage points)
- Development in the proportion of daily listeners in 2018: January 56, 9 %, February 57.0 %, March 57.4 %
- Development in listening time in 2018: January 71 minutes, February 72 minutes, March 74 minutes
- The total listening time has increased by three minutes in 2018, that is eight minutes less than in January 2017
- Listening on national channels seems to have stabilized after a gradual decline during the switchover year 2017
For more information, please contact
Director General Mari Velsand firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Advisor Line Langnes email@example.com
Overview of listening figures from NMA - March 2018
Overview weekly radio coverage from Kantar Media (excel)
Overview of listening figures from NMA - January 2018
Overview of listening figures from NMA - 4th quarter 2017
Pressrelease 1/2017: Decline in Radio Listening Figures after the Digital Switchover
Pressrelease 2/2017: Stable Radio Listening Figures since September
Pressrelease 3/2017: Significant Change in Radio Listening Habits after Digital Switchover
Pressrelease 4/2017: Local Radio Listening Up by 20 Percent
Pressrelease 1/2018: Continuous decrease in radio listening for national channels – but increase for NRK in January